.

.
Formally Bug Drivel; now Freedom Lover USA ~ 2003 - 2016 : All Rights Reserved ~

Monday, September 5, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

There are many people writing, speaking and arguing about Hurricane Katrina. My thoughts are drawn to this situation from many angles these days... anger, sadness and disbelief.

Many have easily drawn politics into this, while others fend politics off in hopes of getting help for people who desperately need it.

It's easy for me to say... but it's true. If I lived closer, I would allow people to come and stay with me.

That being said... when I think about this further, I wonder if I would be able to open up my home to anyone if they actually started busing people to this part of the country (Boise, Idaho). Where would I put them?

I have about 700 sq ft of which all is taken up with my stuff. I suppose I could have people for a short time (ie maybe a week or two) sleeping on my couch or my floor.

But then I would have to go to work and would feel weird having people in my house that I do not know while I'm not here. Let me preface that I would feel that way about anyone... even the Queen of England or the Pope. Okay... maybe not the Pope, but you see what I'm saying. I do not want anyone to pull the "you don't trust those people because of this or that" card on me. I don't care what your status is in life in any genre... if you are in a bad way and you are honest with me, I will help.

What's strange... I am more willing to open my house to people I don't know than to send a lot of money. Maybe that's because I do not know where the money is going (maybe it's because my trust has been altered during my life time), but if someone were in my house and eating my food... then I would know for sure they were getting what I was offering.

Is that selfish?

A friend of mine told me that throwing money at a problem makes her feel worse, as if she is trying to avoid actually helping. This comment hit home as I often feel the same way. In the same breath she also stated that she does not believe sending money "doesn't" help because doing all that we can in our own individual ways is better than doing nothing.

She said something else I feel might be true in the eyes of many who view these tragedies day after day on their boob-tube:

And for us who don't live near Orleans or don't have a house they can open up, maybe it just makes us feel a little guilty when all we can contribute is money.

I can understand this sentiment and sometimes feel like it is an easy way out of the situation... like I am doing it INSTEAD of driving down there to help. HOWEVER... I also realize this is a silly thing to think because when people send money, it DOES help!! So don't think I am belittling those who have sent money... I am not saying that in any way!

It just seems so little in comparison to those who have offered their homes or their time or even themselves to those who need them.

Perhaps I need to look at the big picture... at the country (even the world) as a whole. Do I expect those who live in New Orleans to drive to California to help if there's a large earthquake? Or drive to Boise to help if there's an emergency of this magnitude here? Of course not. Sending money to help those who can help in person is probably the best I can do at this point. If something happens here or closer to home... then I can offer my help more personally.

If you have the ability to send money... please send it to the Red Cross as they have people who can help the most. Remember... you can specify where you want your cash to go!

No comments:

May we each take the moment necessary out of this day and any day we feel the need to remember those who have gone before us in defense of our freedoms. Without them... we would not be "here"... we would be in chains. ~Bug~