.

.
Formally Bug Drivel; now Freedom Lover USA ~ 2003 - 2016 : All Rights Reserved ~

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Paul Bunyan hacking away at my brain

Sometimes, on those rare occasions when my head pounds and my jaw aches, I just can't fathom writing (or typing, as I am now). Today, I feel as if Paul Bunyan himself resides deep in the far reaches of my mind... hacking away at my brain.

Check out this bit of writing on Paul Bunyan. Having this man living in my head isn't my idea of "time-share" benefits I wish to invest in.

As a writer of fiction, we are told to write every day. It doesn't matter if Paul is choppin' on the brain or if you were just laid off from your job or even if a family member has died. Just last year my step-father died and I couldn't bring myself to write anything in my (then current) fantasy novel. It wasn't going to happen because every time I attempted to write a part where happiness was to flourish in my novel, I would end up dwelling upon my own unhappiness.

Friends and fellow writers (often, one in the same) expressed that I should write about my feelings regarding my loss and stop attempting to write fictional stories for a time. Good advice, I do admit... but it was far from easy to accomplish. Life was hard and I felt let down; as if my step-dad had some how abandoned me (which was far from true).

My advice to those who feel they must write every day of their life is to do it if at all possible, but please remember there are those moments when a vacation, even from what we love doing, is necessary.

No comments:

May we each take the moment necessary out of this day and any day we feel the need to remember those who have gone before us in defense of our freedoms. Without them... we would not be "here"... we would be in chains. ~Bug~